Tuesday 5 January 2010

I've been thinking a lot recently about what I look for in clothes, why I have purchased the things I have in the past and what I am really trying to say about myself through the way I dress. I've always had a strong feeling that 'less is more', in true Miesian style, but not in the sense of being 'minimalist', but in terms of stripping everyback to its bare essentials. I feel this is why I am so enthralled by fixed gear cycling, its just so simple... you're the motor, you are the breaks, thats it!

As a student of architecture and an amateur clothing obsessive, I feel this is a theory that can be applied further and with such aplomb. I have purchased a lot of pieces in the past that are questionable and on the most part, embarrassing. 2010 is the year that this stops. I am not ashamed, and I do not regret these choices, because they have helped me come to the decision I have reached. What I want to show about myself is not an understanding of fashion or trends, but an appreciation and respect to craft, material and culture.

With this in mind, I have thinking about a staple wardrobe, the five pieces that I think would satisfy my desire for style, but also show my appreciation for craft and material. The pieces my wardrobe will be including:

Raw denim
Hand made shoes (preferably English)
Oxford shirts
Knitwear - cashmere for spring and autumn and wool for winter
A great watch - I currently wear a Breitling Colt series

I live in a city, and I spend a lot of time on foot so I want comfort and I want longevity from the things I wear, as well as products that are crafted with empathy and spirit. On top of this, I want to tell a story. This is why I love raw denim so much, because you have to work hard for them, and really push every stitch to its limit to get the best results.

I have said it before, but style is timeless, and fashion is not. We don't see people still looking good in flared cords, but pull out your parents oxford shirts from twenty years ago and they look timeless. I don't recommend wearing the same clothes every day, but there is nothing wrong with a staple wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment