Saturday 20 March 2010

Denim, for a long time, was something I took for grant. I saw denim (jeans, mostly) as a great casual garment when I couldn't think of anything else to wear. However, I asked myself what now seems like a serious question one day, "Why would I want to buy jeans that look like I've already worn them?" I'm a firm believer in minimal wardrobes that contain stout garments that over time lose part of their identity and become a piece of your own. I can't think of a material that encompasses this idea as part of its natural lifespan than dry (or raw) denim.

I yesterday got my first hole in my A.P.C New Standards and its been a long time coming after wearing them every day for around eight months now and I'm not going to try and hide it. Cycling, climbing, carpentry and building fires are just a few activities I have done in these jeans and every stain, crease and tear is a scar of what has been an eventful and exciting eight months. With such a strong history of being a workwear and naval material, it should be worn every day, to do everything and anything. Don't be precious with your jeans and it will pay dividends. I've never been so attached to an item of clothing, and I think the hard work that goes into a new pair of raw jeans is why.

It'd be great to get some images together from customers who were curious, enthusiastic or uninterested in raw denim to see how everything has worked out 12 months on and the story behind their denim.



In attempt to maintain denim democracy, we also stock some great denim from Acne, Nom de Guerre and now Cheap Monday who are all making strong headway in the world of denim, creating details, washes and fits that are really defining them as brands.

(Photos of Louis and my jeans coming soon for anybody who is interested.)

No comments:

Post a Comment